Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Feb.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GP Legend Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GP Legend » The Power and Potential of SARB and Side-Attack Chains
Hibiscus
Golden Fox
The Power and Potential of SARB and Side-Attack Chains
Reply to this Post

Over the past few months, a relatively new tech has been implemented in several Zero Tests. This tech has been coined "Side-Attack Rail Bounce" (a.k.a "SARB"). Side-attack rail bounces are a result of a weird property in both sde-attacks and rails, where is you angle your vehicle in such a way (~45 degrees) facing away from the wall whilst side-attacking and boosting into it, the vehicle will "bounce" or "slam" into the wall repeatedly, causing it to be pushed forward with each side-attack, which is quite a lot faster than just side-attacking normally, let alone not side-attacking at all (holding one shoulder button whilst driving forwards). These can be performed in a chain along a long rail, or they can be performed once or twice on a short rail. This tech completely changes the playing field for most of the Zero Tests in the game, with some ZTs being improved by at least "10.

An example of a Zero Test that has been completely changed is S10. The old WR was 18"40 by RichardTaro, set on the 1st of June, 2009. He performed no side-attacks, even on the really long straightaways, which left a lot of room for optimisation, even though his driving was excellent. However, on the 19th of May this year, I decided to give it a crack. I tried to implement side-attacks and SARBs anywhere I could to save time, and after a quick WR hunting session, I had improved my PR from an 18"53, all the way down to an 18"20.

Here's an excerpt from the description of my WR video (feel free to just skim-read this bit):

RichardTaro did not use any side-attacks in his run. So, I decided to capitalize on this by adding SA chains to most of the straightaways to gain a massive advantage. In the first SA chain, I moved to the left to get some energy from the healing strip, so that my boost could last for the whole duration of the run; RichardTaro ran out of boost at the end of his old run.

The first SA chain was pretty much perfect. Although, it is possible to get an SARB off of the diagonal wall at the start where the healing strip is, but it's very inconsistent and difficult. My driving after the SA chain wasn't the best, but it was still really good. I added some SAs from 0:12 onward, and the turn at 0:14 was designed in a way that allowed me to easily get some SARBs off of it and get an SA chain afterwards. I only got one SARB from the turn though. Everything else in the run was really, really nice. I added two SA chains, one at 0:19 and one at the end (0:21). These obviously save a lot of time and I even got two SARBs at the end, which was very lucky. There are obviously a lot of strategies that I could add, such as more SA chains and more SARBs here and there, but I'm on cloud nine right now. 

Links to both of those runs: 18"40 by RichardTaro (https://youtu.be/F5UMd_ZZB18)

18"20 by me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQF7c1JvLrM)

At the moment, the potential for usage of SARBs in 5laps and FLaps is quite limited, because DDT is already fast enough as it is and is very consistent, however SARB is extremely difficult to perform consistently. The best vehicle for SARB is also unclear. SARB can be used for alternative vehicle runs and story mode runs, as well as it already being used in a lot of ZTs. FatRatKnight actually made a TAS of the Rick Wheeler Story Mode #1, in which pretty much all of the run is spent side-attacikng into the wall; the machine gains a ridiculous amount of speed in doing so. You can watch that TAS here (all credit goes to FatRatKnight and MemoryTAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h79WqnOBUC8

There is also a TASVideos thread about the topic, with a few additional important details: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=455087#455087

What are your thoughts? Do you have any ideas? Let me know! Thanks for reading!

-FLX

Index » F-Zero GP Legend » The Power and Potential of SARB and Side-Attack Chains