Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
SNES Rules Resources Videos Ladder Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero SNES » Speed meter is lying
FennorVirastar
Mr. EAD
Speed meter is lying
Reply to this Post

One lap on this very long straight takes ~13.65 seconds if you are driving at 478km/h. (max speed of Fire Stingray) But how fast would you have to drive in order to do double the lap times? (27.30 seconds)

You'd expect 239km/h (478/2), but actually it is 175km/h, because the speed meter is lying. The speed meter raises exponentially, so the faster you are driving, the faster the numbers of the speed meter get higher. The first 13 km/h from 0-13km/h are about the same as 438-478km/h (difference of 40 instead of 13)

If the first 13km/h are "real", it means that you actually just drive about 234km/h on max speed instead of 478km/h.

">

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Re: Speed meter is lying
Reply to this Post

it is kinda expected since every other game in the series has a lying speedometer.

also, making speeds like that seem realistic is hard since barely any small vehicle goes that fast in reality.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
FennorVirastar
Mr. EAD
Re: Speed meter is lying
Reply to this Post

So how much is the difference between the first km/h from 0-1km/h and let's say 1499-1500km/h in the other games? Do you know any maths about it?

Edit: I tested in F-Zero X on a big loop. I drove on max speed settings at ~901km/h and another time while braking at the same time, so that my speed was only ~179km/h. Based on the time I did with 179km/h I expected the other time I did to be ~918km/h instead of 901. So the difference isn't really that huge, especially compared to F-Zero SNES, it is even the other way around, the expected 918km/h are higher than the 901km/h, while in F-Zero SNES the expected 350km/h for half the time of 175km/h are much lower than 478km/h. Maybe there is a bigger difference at lower speeds, but I don't know how to drive constant times at lower speeds.

I

Index » F-Zero SNES » Speed meter is lying