Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
SNES Rules Resources Videos Ladder Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero SNES » FunStyle's Announcement
FunStyle
Black Bull
FunStyle's Announcement
Reply to this Post

Tonight i have watched Edward’s stream again actually just to show him a remix of me and suddenly he stopped the stream and asked me to start a conversation on skype. I actually had no idea where this was going at, but when he told me that he had an eye on my Silence lap I knew where it would be going. Anyway, he told me about this “black-white-stripes” you can see at the horizon and then he asked me if this run might be an emulator run or if I had some other explanation for it, since he has never seen those in a console run. And in that moment I told him that this actually was an emulator run.

I played it on emulator, recorded the file, saved it on a dvd and played it on my TV in order to film it with my camera as good or as bad as possible. As reason for no sound I used my standard words, that I would listen to music while playing F-Zero, what is the usually case when I play, but in this run it just was an excuse for not having any sound, since we all know, the sound of an emulator is different from the console sound. If anyone cares the file has around 100 rerecords, most of them for the last turn and slowdowns were used as well.

What’s the goal I’m aiming for with this post? As we all know I’m suspicious for a long time now, for several things and I always denied cheating. But does this mean that I cheated on all of my times in every game? No – I just can repeat WMJ’s words in here and hope that they help me, since he said he never thought I’m cheating in any other game expect F-Zero SNES (I hope this were his words, but I’m not 100% sure). Of course you all will say, videos that were made the same way as the Silence lap are also emulator runs, but in this case it doesn’t matter if I cheated in those runs or in just one of them. I guess there were 4 runs as this run (Big Blue lap, Silence Lap, Port Town 1 Lap, Red Canyon 1 Lap). I don’t have those videos anymore, but I can say they all were emulator videos. There was a rule, that world records needed a video proof and so I needed a video proof for my laps, but since I wasn’t able to record NTSC, since I did never play on an NTSC console, since I joined MFO, only the time before.From that time around I just had a PAL-Console, but what helps a PAL console for a NTSC time I needed? I needed a video of a time I got in PAL in NTSC, so I needed an emulator run. And there we come to the next point i have to clarify: Both of my record screens are fake, since as I told, I haven’t played NTSC for eternities, but I do have a NTSC and PAL cartridge. If you believe it or not, but they both have no battery for saving anymore and so I wrote down my times all the time. And since it helped me to get out of suspicion I faked those record screens.

With this post I actually just don’t want to clarify things, I also want to apologize to the whole F-Zero staff, especially to Tim and Wouter, I also want to say sorry to Kalle, and to all the others I ever had trouble with. But the greatest excuse goes to Edward, having a SRPR of 9999 and just not having the last MFO best. I’m really sorry about what I have done, that I have actually treated on you, that I actually wanted you to beat times, which officially never existed. I wanted to excuse about not telling it from myself. I also want to excuse the trouble I caused with time, I want to excuse about the things I told about other players who did not observe rules by MFO.

For ending my post I wanted to say, that I will accept any decision the staff arrives now. Furthermore there is to say, we have a new Champion, the first person in history who completes all 30 World Records/MFO bests in F-Zero SNES. I’m sorry for stave off the coronation of one of the best F-Zero SNES players of all time, and I just can say, Edward, my respect for your efford, skills, personality, behavior with this situation, and keep on racing.

Michael

PS: I uploaded the video quicly, you can watch it here:

edward406
Staff Ghost
Re: FunStyle's Announcement
Reply to this Post

For the past couple days, I have been working with the MFO Staff in trying to identify if Michael’s video for Silence was fake or not. I personally did not like having to call someone out for cheating, and I don’t think anyone would. I always want to believe that every player is playing the game honestly, but some things cannot go unnoticed.

The MFO staff will no longer need to determine the legitimacy of the video. After asking Michael about the video, he came forth honorably and admitted it was an emulator video… that takes guts, and I respect the hell out of that.

Michael, I have no hard feelings towards you for anything and accept your apology. We are all driven to do things that are wrong at times, but that’s part of being human, you come back from it, forgive and forget.

To the MFO Staff, I personally believe that Michael should receive punishment no greater than having times removed for which he admitted cheating to. As I said to you before, Michael has clearly provided legitimate proof for many other times, has always provided insightful strategies to the series, and has only ever offered help for many players including myself. This is my opinion. I understand the final decision of punishment rests in the hands of the staff.

-Edward

"It's the F-Zero spirit!" -Yazzo
Mandalore
Jet Vermilion
Reply to this Post

He was already on a final warning. He had the chance to delete all his dodgy times and wipe the slate clean, instead he kept up the false pretense. How can anyone ever trust him again?

As far as I'm concerned there is no going back from this, a permanent ban is the only option.

TBK
Janitor
Reply to this Post

As remorseful as you're sounding FunStyle... this chapter needs to be closed by permanently removing all your times off the ladders. I have no hard feelings towards you either but see the problem with letting you stay: We would be known as a community who forgive a cheater and let him continue to compete anyway. We would be setting a bad example within our community that is for a big part based on trust. What if those horizontal lines wouldn’t exist and Edward hadn’t had the chance to unmask you? We still had a cheated MFO best among our best records and I’m sure it would’ve stayed there for a long time. A cheater doesn’t reveal himself until he gets caught. It was the same with metalsmasher86. An apology might make good with the people you betrayed but it doesn’t reverse your actions. Your trustworthiness vanished into thin air now.

FunStyle
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
tbk wrote:

As remorseful as you're sounding FunStyle... this chapter needs to be closed by permanently removing all your times off the ladders. I have no hard feelings towards you either but see the problem with letting you stay: We would be known as a community who forgive a cheater and let him continue to compete anyway. We would be setting a bad example within our community that is for a big part based on trust. What if those horizontal lines wouldn’t exist and Edward hadn’t had the chance to unmask you? We still had a cheated MFO best among our best records and I’m sure it would’ve stayed there for a long time. A cheater doesn’t reveal himself until he gets caught. It was the same with metalsmasher86. An apology might make good with the people you betrayed but it doesn’t reverse your actions. Your trustworthiness vanished into thin air now.

That were my last lines.... "For ending my post I wanted to say, that I will accept any decision the staff arrives now."

Yazzo
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

while i do appreciate the apology from you FunStyle, I also have to agree with Tim and Ben that a an example needs to be set in terms of how we handle cheaters. and I think you've had alot of chances to do what's right but chosen not to which makes the whole thing much worse. however i'm not saying this punishment needs to last forever, i personally think you should be able to come back to to the community as a competitor, but i think it would require that you show as good of a proof that it's possible to do for all your times and show complete will of co-operation. but for now, and for a while onwards, i think all your times should be removed from all the ladders, to set an example. 

now, you have contributed alot to the community by, as Edward says: "provided insightful strategies to the series, and has only ever offered help for many players including myself." that's cool and i think you can continue doing that, but i think it just needs to be done under more honest forms in the future.

WMJ
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

In one way it makes me quite sad to read this but it also clarifies a lot of the discussion Funstyle and me had been having in the past. I suspected this very thing over a year ago and pushed him hard to upload videos with sound etc. as I thought these videos were just very suspicious and I couldn't tell 100% from them if it was emulator or not. His excuse that he played with music and his brother was filming the screen is just crazy when you try for an flap (why have someone film the screen for hours). Asking for better proof always let to huge resitance from Funstyle and discussion with staff eventually into a ban that was lifted when he eventually decided to upload some more decent proof that was more of a skill demo as it's clear he knows a lot of the game at least. I'm quite frustrated that I had to waste so much time on this but good to see my instincts on this were right. I can only see a permanent ban of his times from the ladder after having so many very long discussions about his times, I for one can't trust them anymore. That said, I only have a problem with his times on the ladder so he can still contribute strats, tases etc. as he is very enthusiastic about the series and that can be appreciated.

BPA
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Can only echo the sentiments of other staff here. While your contributions to the furtherment of strategy and technique have been worthy and appreciated, the trust factor is no longer there. A bitter shame, but the shared opinion of outcome is the only real resolution.

"Lucifer! Punish your enemies, oh lord of the night, destroy them all!"
edward406
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

After reading what everyone has said, I can understand everybody else's frustrations on this matter and respect your positions. You guys have definitely had your fair share of things to handle in the past.

This was my first time confronting Michael about anything, and being he complied with me on a first time basis, I feel more leinient, but understand that others do not. In regards to what Tim said, I also understand that all Michael's times need to be taken down in order to ensure MFO's integrity on handling cheating. It's a shame, but understandable.

Also, I want to thank the MFO staff for putting in their own time to help handle this matter. I am glad everything is coming to a close.

Michael: I hope to see you still contributing to the community as you always have. Keep your chin up.

"It's the F-Zero spirit!" -Yazzo
Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

i've already provided my standing in PMs, meaning that time deletion is the least that we can do. the site can't afford to lose the little credibility it has.

at least this was resolved quickly and not dragged around with foils and various arguments.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
   Index » F-Zero SNES » FunStyle's Announcement