Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
SNES Rules Resources Videos Ladder Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero SNES » Straight Line Drifting vs Diagonal Path
Mandalore
Jet Vermilion
Straight Line Drifting vs Diagonal Path
Reply to this Post

I've been wondering this for a while, but does drifting slow you down at all if you aren't turning at the same time? In some videos I see people go in a straight line and drift to correct their path, but in others they go diagonal.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Re: Straight Line Drifting vs Diagonal Path
Reply to this Post

i remember hearing that using the shoulder buttons takes away a bit of speed but it was so long ago that i'n not even sure about it.

it is worth testing.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
FunStyle
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
UchihaSasuke wrote:

i remember hearing that using the shoulder buttons takes away a bit of speed but it was so long ago that i'n not even sure about it.

it is worth testing.

Yeah using the shoulder buttons is slower than driving staight. In Mute City 1 for example when u cut the dirt lines it actually would be faster to turn instead of going to the left by using L, but as long as u dont TAS it its not worth doing it. Thats why in normal runs shoulder buttons are used even if it is around 0.02-0.04 slower

The Legend never dies-
edward406
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Here is a video that is hopefully some help.

In the first minute I try to illustrate how much the FS slows down when you drift. On master and expert class, the CPU's can go 478 km/h. So by positioning yourself next to them while you and the CPU are going 478 km/h, you can see the effects of how much drifting actually slows you down from a visual sense, even though your speed still reads at 478 km/h.

In the second minute of the video I try to illustrate the time differences Michael mentioned by showing the FS going straight, slightly diagonal, and left to right via drifting. The start and end point for each segment is very close to the same. You all be the judge.

The times work out as follows.

• Straight: 33"60 - 26"88 = 6"72
  • Diagonal: 33"06 - 26"34 = 6"72
  • Drifting: 1'22"89 - 1'16"14 = 6"75

Legend also had a number of video's in the past that explained concepts like this but unfortunately are no longer able to be found on his channel. In some videos, he would overlay footage of the FS going straight with footage of the FS drifting left and right. These types of videos were able to depict the above concept very well. If I ever get the proper video editing software, I'd love to recreate some of those videos.

"It's the F-Zero spirit!" -Yazzo
   Index » F-Zero SNES » Straight Line Drifting vs Diagonal Path